The media family on device is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family Error: 3241
Posted on : 13-07-2011 | By : Devi Prasad | In : DatabaseBackup, SQL Errors, SQLServerPedia Syndication
When you try to restore a backup of the database you get the following error:
The media family on device ” is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3241)
This error occurs due to the following problems:
- Backup file is corrupted.
The following post helps you verify your database backup: Verify SQL Server Database Backup
- Backup was taken on a higher version of SQL Server and restoration is being done on the earlier version.
The following post gives you more details about this: restore higher version database backup on lower version sql server – restore problem
- If you feel backup could be corrupted take the backup again
- If you are using FTP then use it in binary mode to copy the backup file into local drive
- If the versions are different then update the SQL Server on the system into which the backup has to be restored
- Verify the database backup to check what the issue is.
Following post helps you verify your database backup: Verify SQL Server Database Backup
More about using restore verify only this option in SQL Server can be found here
References : Devi Prasad (sqlserverlearner.com)
Need Help On SQL Server?
Cannot Find Solution to your problem (or) If you are looking for some help on SQL Server. Dont worry Click Here to Post your question and solve your issue.
Do you like my blog?
If you liked reading this blog, please help spread the word by sharing this blog with your friends.